Social media has become a standard channel of communication for consumers. In the past few years, it has gained significant growth as a legit media outlet and has begun to eclipse some out-of-date outlets like TV as a more desirable channel for getting media content into viewer’s consciousness.
Digital devices are growing on an exponential level. Globally, 46% of consumers with a digital device use social media to make informed purchases. The top three social networks used by business to business marketers include LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook. While LinkedIn is supposed to be the source for business marketing, just 62% of marketers say it is effective. 50% say the same for Twitter, and, not surprisingly, only 30% of business marketers view Facebook as an effective business marketing platform.
To prove its impact on a global perspective, here are some fact about the best social media sites of our generation.
- 1.39 billion active monthly users as of December 31, 2014
- Every minute, 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded
- Our own study indicates on average, native videos on Facebook reach 2.04 times more people, getting 2.38 times more likes, 2.67 times more shares, and 7.43 times more comments
- Photos drive engagement on Facebook pages
- 45% of account holders become very paranoid if they cannot access Facebook.
- 23% of users check their accounts at least 5 times per day
- Drives more referrals than any other social platform
- 316 million monthly users
- 500 million tweets sent per day
- 77% of active users are outside the U.S
- 88% of active users are on mobile devices.
- 6 distinct communications networks
- 65% of users expect a response in less than two hours
- There are 1.5 million groups on LinkedIn
- 27% of users access LinkedIn through their mobile device
- Over 3 million company pages
- 50% of LinkedIn users have Bachelor or Graduate degrees
- 45% of B2B marketers have gained a customer through LinkedIn
- LinkedIn is adding, on average, two members per second
- Only 20% of LinkedIn users are under the age of 30
- More than 16 billion photos already exist on the platform
- An average user has close to 40 photos
- ‘MTV’ is the most followed brand, with over 1.2 million followers
- 1,000 comments per second are posted
- More than 5 million photos are uploaded every day